"The average prison sentence for men who kill their intimate partners is 2 to 6 years. Women who kill their partners are sentenced, on average, 15 to 17 years. A pair of Maryland cases vividly illustrates this inequality in sentencing. In one case, a judge in Baltimore County, Maryland sentenced Kenneth Peacock to 18 months for killing his unfaithful wife. The very next day, another judge in the same county sentenced Patricia Ann Hawkins to three years in prison for killing her abusive husband. Significantly, the prosecutor in the Peacock case requested a sentence twice as long as the one imposed, while the prosecutor in the Hawkins case requested one-third of the sentence imposed.”
“As many as 90% of the women in prison today  for killing men had been battered by those men.”
~ The Michigan Women’s Justice & Clemency Project
try and tell me sexism isn’t real
Hold the fucking phoneSo about that one song in Chicago
“i’m so depressed,” posted the caucasian heterosexual cisgender teenage girl on her blog
“I’m so depressed” posted the person who is clinically depressed and who cannot help their depression despite their privilege because depression does not exclusively affect certain groups.
Love also emailed Fan Expo and said the reply she received was “inadequate” and felt like a complete brush off. Pirko had a more worrying response:
They stated that their attendees and their team were adults, and it was all a bit of fun that people wouldn’t take seriously. A direct quote from the email ’We thought about clarifying that cuddles must come with consent, but we thought if we’re always putting the rules in front of the fun – well that hurts the spirit of Fan Expo as much as the people that try to abuse our rules.” They also stated that they hadn’t gotten around to putting their harassment policy up yet, but had made it a priority.
Reminding people not to harass other attendees only makes the convention less “fun” for those who were inclined to harass in the first place. For everyone else, it reassures them they can have real fun in a safe environment with fellow fans.
And this is why I’ll never attend a Fan Expo.
I have bananas in my hair. Two of them, too pulpy and brown to eat, with some honey. It’s a hair masque! I put a tablespoon of Manuka honey in there. One of the most demoralizing parts of having the autoimmune problems is the outbreaks of eczema or the red spots I call ‘lace rash’ - I have gradually found treatments that work for these, and they’ve helped over time.
- Epsom salt baths with lavender and bay essential oils - just a few drops each!
- Quit soaps with sulfates. Get as natural as you can. Some of my favorites are EO and Plantlife.
- I also exfoliate with a scrub-bar I make using pumice powder or very fine cosmetic sand and either mango, cocoa, or coconut butter.
- For my face, I’ve been using Plantlife’s gerianium and rosewood, and making a gentle scrub with ground apricot kernels, olive oil, and orange juice. Did you know that citrus juice has anti-inflammatory properties? It does!
My hair is really getting healthy again, too! It’s thicker, has more volume, and my scalp isn’t getting eczema patches, and where those lesions formed, the hair is coming back in thick and healthy again. And it’s growing like weeds - I just trimmed it for the second time in three months.
- Rinses with vinegars and whole fruit juices. Get them down to the scalp and let them sit. Favorite juices are white grape, grapefruit, papaya, and pineapple.
- Shea Moisture makes a hreat shea butter hair repair treatment, and my scalp loves it, but bananas or too-ripe for guacamole avocados go great, too.
- No-sulfate shampoo! Shea Moisture for shampoo and leave-in conditioner/detangler because my local supplier keeps running out of Carol’s Daughter!
- Clean your brushes and combs! Soak in white vinegar, or a sink full of water and denture tablets, wash with dishwashing liquid.
- Brush 100 strokes over the course of a day, get down and let the brush massage your scalp, increasing blood flow and exfoliating.
I am having coffee right now, and getting ready to go shower and then have a soak in my epsom/lavender/bay bath.
So fricking cute